Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Are Daily Deals Good Gifts?


This year I took my girlfriend out for a Valentine’s day dinner using a Groupon I purchased. Sushi is sushi right (well maybe not on Monday)? Now, many of the deals out there exclude Valentine’s day but this particular one did not. Was it cheap of me to take her out using a coupon? Did she think less of me using it? I don’t think so but she surely didn’t leave hungry.

Getting back to my point:  Is it a good idea to give these coupon services or gift certificates as gifts? Well, there is no mystery as to what the cost of it was but if the gift makes the recipient happy, then I believe it is a great alternative to a more traditional style of gift.

From my Valentine’s experience, I think any one that likes sushi would love to get a gift certificate for a sushi dinner. Groupon, Living social, and the other numerous deal sites pride themselves on finding experiences or deal spots that fit some one’s interests. They wouldn’t being generating millions of dollars if that wasn’t the case right?

I am sure there is some psychology behind giving a discounted item that regards the gift as meaning less to the giftee just like a gift purchased from a place like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Is there a certain stigma behind these items? I would guess that these bargain gifts are cheap for a purpose, no one else wanted them so why would I want it? But if the gift fits then I believe it is a great gift. Hey, you can always regift it right? That wouldn’t be a first!

Whether it is a 60 minute massage for the price of a 30 minute one I believe that giving a Groupon as a gift does not apply to the saying of “less is more”!  At Giftem.com we strive to help people find gift ideas for their friends and loved ones and are happy to propose lower cost alternatives to traditional ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment